How LineChart deals with missing values (in template file)

After seeing somme comments about how LineChart handles (or not) missing values, I just downloaded and tested the template file from Sourceforge.

Here is the result... Looks OK to me.


There are however two problematic cases with LineChart.
1) the case of an isolated value : you need 2 values to draw a line, so individual poin will not be displayed if the GapStyle parameter is different than 1 or 2

2) when all values are identical and the scale (Min and Max) is not defined ... where should the resulting horizonal line be drawn ? In order to see it, specify Min and Max.

If you have found more cases, please send me a screenshot at : sparklines.excel - at- gmail.com


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Fabrice - I just sent you an email detailing the issues I see - let me know if you don't get it. Your example does work for me as well - when the data is arranged vertically. All my problems happen when referencing data arranged horizontally.

mattj said...

Fabrice,
Excellent utility for Excel. I am also having problems with line charts when the data is arranged horizontally. Missing data causes Excel 2007 to stop responding. It also occurs if I have non-numeric data.

Sebastien said...

Fabrice,

I found that excel stops responding if the gapstyle parameter is not set. I made the demonstration in one file with linechart parametered with gapstyle and without. Deleting one data made the well parametered charts responding well and when it cale to updating one without gapstyle, it went to calculations without ending...
However it is set like optional, it seems that in case of missing values, the soft is lost (I haven't checked in the code)

Jim said...

CAN YOU POST THE LATEST XL 2007 VERSION TO THE BOXNET SITE. SOURCE FORGE IS EMPTY